NZ17 - Napier getaway part 1

I found a deal on grabone  a few weeks ago for 2 nights at the Masonic Hotel in Napier. Art deco loveliness and a bit of a bargain. The perfect getaway for me after the manic few months I've had working. I flew in on Sunday morning on a tiny plane from Wellington airport with a bit of a hangover. Gollum was there to wave me off.



When I landed there was a lovely lady there with a shuttle bus who offered me a lift. Great! I dropped my stuff off at the hotel as it was too early to check in, and I went round the corner to eat the most delicious and well needed breakfast at their bar, Emporium. .





After breakfast, I trotted over the road to the Art Deco centre. A lovely shop which has historical movies about the earthquake in 1931 and another movie about Art Deco in Napier, the history and styles. I started with the earthquake and re-building of the town. Then I bought some presents.... it was after this that I got the shopping bug. I went for a walk, and I shopped... danger zone... 

I'll show everything I bought in a separate post. This one's for pretty pictures. 










After this, which I found quite tiring having partied the night before and getting up early that morning, I walked to the seafront, where I sat with my book and listened to a lone guy playing his guitar and singing on a tree trunk. Bliss! You can just about see him in one of the photos below. 




It started to rain, and as I was about to leave, a brass band started playing on the stage behind me. I stayed for a while and listened, then went to my hotel, checked in, napped, freshened up, and went to the pub. The rest is history. I made some new friends, played giant Jenga, ate good food, drank good wine, and slept, better than I have in weeks. 



The gorgeous roof terrace outside my bedroom at the hotel. 



The rooms are basic at the Napier, but lovely nonethless and the bed was comfy as! 

More tomorrow! 

XXX

Comments

Popular Posts